Saudi Government has been taking care of in a better way of not only those expatriates living in Saudi Arabia but also those expatriates who are coming to Saudi Arabia on new visas. There was a time when they were not treated well and no one used to take care of them. They were left upon their Kafeels to do whatever they wanted to do with them. However, time has changed now. Ministry of Labor has been issuing new rules to reduce the exploitation of newcomer expatriates by the Kafeels. Purpose of writing this post is to let the newcomers to Saudi Arabia aware about their rights and duties. I would request everyone reading this post to share it with others so that new expatriates coming to Saudi Arabia are not exploited by their Kafeels.
- After you have stepped into Saudi Arabia, one thing you must do is the mental adjustment. Keep in mind that you are no more in your country where you used to do whatever you wanted to do. This is country of Saudis. Do not expect that your basic rights are available to you. Forget about the status and attitude you used to enjoy in your country. This is Saudi Arabia and you will have to live as a second level resident.
- Your first objective is to start work with your Kafeel and complete your probation period. You must have noticed that the visa duration of the visa stamped on your passport is for 90 days. This is actually probation period you need to complete. Please read this article to know in detail about the rules of probation period as per Saudi Labor Law “Probation Rules under Saudi Labor Law”
- Your Kafeel may issue Iqama (Residence Permit) for you even without completion of probation period. Well, I think you should not delay the first Iqama if you are satisfied with your job. Your Iqama is everything while you are living in Saudi Arabia as an expatriate. You will have to go through a certain procedure for the Iqama to be issued. This procedure has been explained in this link “Procedure to Apply for First Iqama”. As mentioned earlier, your Iqama is the basic document of your stay in Saudi Arabia. It is card issued in Arabic language. We have also issued a guideline for the newcomers to understand what is written on Iqama. Please follow this link if you want to understand what is written in your Iqama “Knowing Details on Iqama”
o The Iqama is not issued to him even after 90 days of his arrival to Saudi Arabia.
o Kafeel is in red or yellow category of Nitaqat. In order to know about the Nitaqat Category, you must read the details provided in this link. “Saudization or Nitaqat in Saudi Arabia”
Iqama for Newcomers
- Procedure to Apply for the First Iqama
- List of Approved Medical Centers for Iqama Issuance / Renewal
- Tips for Newcomers in Saudi Arabia
- Tips by MOI for expatriates holding Iqama
- Overstaying after Visa (Iqama) Expiry in Saudi Arabia
- Penalties on Iqama Holders by Saudi Government
- Fines for not Carrying Iqama
- Knowing Details on Iqama
- Procedure to Register to Saudi Council of Engineering