Friday, October 3, 2014

Apply for U.S. Passport from Saudi Arabia

U.S. Citizens living in Saudi Arabia can apply for the renewal of their passport or new passport of the new born child from the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh or U.S. Consulate in Jeddah. In order to apply for the new U.S. passport or renewal of the U.S. passport, they will have to follow certain procedures which have been explained below. It is also important to mention here that passport is your property and your employer does not have any right to hold it on your behalf. We have already published an article upon this subject “Legality of Holding Passport by Employer”. If your employer asks for it, you can simply refuse him by quoting the references given in the article.

Guide to Apply for U.S. Passport from Saudi Arabia
  1. In order to apply for the U.S. passport or renewal of the U.S. passport from Saudi Arabia, you must take an appointment from U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in Saudi Arabia. Please click on this link to take appointment.
  2. You will also have to complete the application to apply for the U.S. passport or renewal of the U.S. passport from Saudi Arabia. Application can be filled from this link. You must need to fill this application online as handwritten application is not accepted.
  3. You need to bring the print of the filled application on the day of appointment to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate as the case may be to apply for the U.S. passport or renewal of the U.S. passport from Saudi Arabia. You need to be present there in person as the mail in option is only available for the passports within the United States of America. If the new passport of a newly born is to applied or a passport of minor is to be renewed, both parents must come to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. consulate to apply for it.
  4. After going through the whole process in the U.S. Embassy or U.S. consulate, the documents will be sent to USA electronically for the processing of passport. Generally it takes around two weeks to process the U.S. passport from Saudi Arabia. It is better to apply for the passport at the time when you have two three months remaining in the validity. U.S. passport can be renewed when passport is going to expire in next 12 months.
  5. Fee for the first time application for a 10 year passport is $135 (513 SAR). Passport application fee for a minor aged under the age of 16 is $105 (399 SAR). Renewal fee of a 10 year passport is $110 (418 SAR). Fees can be paid in cash with either U.S. dollars or Saudi Arabian Riyals or by credit card.

Dual Nationals – If you have dual nationality of Saudi Arabia as well as United States, it is important to know that you cannot enter to USA on a Saudi Passport. Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use a valid U.S. passport when entering or leaving the United States. We have published an article on this subject; have a look at it “Tips for Dual Nationality Holdersin Saudi Arabia

Related Articles


Follow us in Google+