Have you heard about the ‘Smart Traveller Enrollment Program for U.S Citizens?’ Yes? No? Well if your answer is a yes then I am still sure that you will gain more knowledge about this program when you go through my article and if your answer is a no then I am here to save the day. The ‘Smart Traveller Enrollment Program for U.S Citizens’ first known by the name "Registration with Embassies program” is a program purely for the U.S citizens to inform the American embassy about their contact details when they travel or stay abroad. The first information we will be providing you with, is that many of you must be thinking as to why they changed their name. Well the answer to this question is that by changing the name of the process and designating it the "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)," they hope to encourage more U.S citizens to utilize this service.
Now as to why should you enroll at the ‘Smart Traveller Enrollment Program for U.S Citizens’ is because your safety is their priority! Nearly 200,000 Americans each year are victims of crime, accident, illness or whose family and friends need to contact them out in an emergency situation. So if by chance any mishap happens or if natural disaster occurs, or terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. So basically by informing the embassy about your trip or residence abroad, you help the embassy or consulate to track you when you might need them the most. So due to the safety they provide their citizens, millions of Americans travel abroad every year and encounter no difficulties. Signing up? Oh it’s voluntary and costs nothing. How to sign up for the ‘Smart Traveller Enrollment Program for U.S Citizens?’ well let me now explain that to you.
Step by Step Process to create account with Smart Traveller Enrollment Program (STEP) for U.S Citizens
- Firstly, you will need to enroll online at the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program website. (https://step.state.gov/step/ )
- Then you will have to create an account by clicking on the "Create an Account" link and then keep following the instructions provided.
- This allows you to select a username and password so that you can access your travel data at any time.
- The account will also contain your personal information so that it can be saved and used again whenever you travel abroad. The personal information section includes basic information about you, and also an emergency contact of a person who is not traveling with you.
- Once you have created an account, you can view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to sign up with a specific U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Then click on the "Add Trip" button or "Add Overseas Residence" buttons to add this information.
- Follow through the pages, and complete as much information as you have available. Despite there are very few required fields, they will be needing thorough information which will enable them to help you more efficiently. You will then receive a confirmation email to ensure that you have signed up correctly.
I would highly recommend the U.S citizens to join the ‘Smart Traveller Enrollment Program for U.S Citizens’ because Stay Informed, Stay Connected, Stay Safe!