- Get yourself prepared: The most important thing is to get equipped with complete and accurate information about salary packages available in market. Many individuals get confused when they are asked abruptly at interview point that what slot of salary he expects or wants. Those who don’t have an idea can utter in confusion an inappropriate figure whether high or low as compare to market value. This can create a deadlock in interview or disappoint employee or employer or both. One must get information about market value available for qualification, skills or expertise and experience he has from his social or professional circle before interview. Average Salary by professions in Saudi Arabia is given in this link which can help you in getting an idea to set your targeted salary.
- Don’t take hasty decisions: In case employer offers salary package seems appropriate one must not be hasty for given a positive response. Graduated residing in middle east especially KSA must take time to properly analyze appropriateness of salary offered in order to avoid any further regret.
- Non-monetary benefits analysis: While negotiating salary don’t just rely on basic salary. Try to have a complete look at benefits and perquisites available as a whole. Sometimes basic salary is not good but perquisites and benefits make it worth acceptance. One should be cautious about inquiring and comparing complete salary package with market rates available. These perquisites involve working hours, bonus and honorarium facility, transportation, health, accommodation and education packages and allowance etc.
- Fair comparison: Don’t accept salary without comparing it with market rates but on the other hand don’t make unreasonable comparison with market rates of salaries. While making comparison be assured about nature of industry must be same, operations and human resource policies should match. The salary package comparing with other one must be for same kind of designation like manager against manager, teacher against teacher etc.
- Let the employer start negotiation: While interview is carried on, an employee or candidate must wait for employer intention to start salary negotiation. In case interviewee starts arguing about salary packages instead other areas are on discussion, it generates a bad image on the edge of employer about dedication and concern of employee.
- Avoid a specific salary figure: It is not advisable to talk about a specific figure of salary package. In case negotiation is carried on, try to give a range for ease of employer and give him space for further thinking. In case minimum limit is not being agreed for basic salary, it is recommended for employee to try to improve negotiation of benefits and perquisites attached with salary package.
Job Hunting in Saudi Arabia