White spots on the nails are very common today, everyone at some stage in their lives experience them. The white spots can appear on both, the fingernails and the toenails and they usually appear in the middle area of the nail. In many cases, one or two spots on the nails appears and after disappears as the nail grows out, the spots you notice are not caused by a calcium deficiency, but they are called "leukonychia". An injury to the base of the nail, which is also known as the leukonychia or matrix, can result in the appearance of these white spots on the nails. Due to the fact that these spots take some time to appear after the injury, you may have totally forgotten about the injury.
Some types of injuries that can cause these spots are banging the finger on the door or banging it on the countertop or with a hammer. Having manicures can cause injuries to the nails as well. In this case, these spots are not very serious and do not necessarily require treatment. There are several other causes of white dots appeared on nails. Allergic Reaction White spots can appear on the nails due to an allergic reaction to nail polish or even by nail polish remover. Infection White spots can also be a sign that your nail is suffering from an infection such as a fungus, yeast or mould.
- Calcium Deficiency and white dots on Nails: Calcium deficiency causes leukonychia. In order to treat calcium deficiency, you should have diets containing calcium, and drinking orange juice or any other calcium fortified food or drinks will help.
- Zinc Deficiency and white dots on Nails: Zinc is a metal that is normally found in the human body. A zinc deficiency commonly causes white spots on the nails. A change in the person's diet can help to resolve this problem.
- Home Remedies for White Spots on Nails: Some home remedies you can apply at your home to get rid of white spots.
- Moisturize: A beneficial tip is massaging the hands and fingernails with vitamin E or hand lotion, which can be also applied on the nails as well.
- Keep a Balanced Diet: Maintaining a balanced diet is necessary for the health of the entire body as well as for the nails.
- Have More Calcium-Rich Foods and Drinks: Consuming foods and drinks that are strengthened with calcium is a good way to keep the nails saves from getting these white spots.
- Eat More Vitamin C Rich Fruits: White spots tend to appear if you are not getting enough vitamin C in your body. Therefore, it is necessary to eat foods and drinks that contain vitamin C, such as oranges, grapefruits and guava.
- Consume More Zinc, Iron, Sulphur Rich Foods: White spots on nails can be a sign of lack of zinc, iron and sulphur. Enhance more foods which contain these elements. And you can also take a moderate amount of supplements.
- See a doctor: When the nails are coupled with other signs of stress such as an infection, disease or exposure to bacteria, when you think that these white spots are not normal but something else, then you may need to look for medical attention. Your doctor will prescribe you medication that will help you in this problem. However, maybe this will not remove the spots which were already present. Then you will need to wait for these to grow out.
Health Issues in Saudi Arabia
- Healthy effects of Circumcision on the Male Body
- Top 50 Causes of Deaths in Saudi Arabia
- Blood Transfusion resulted in HIV AIDS infection in Saudi Hospital
- An Aspirin a Day Keeps the Cancer Away
- Wrong Vaccine sends Schoolgirl in Coma