Yes you heard it right! The application “Whatsapp” is now available in its desktop version which is the extension of application, which means you can easily use it through your Pc or laptop, though there should be a smart phone connection as well. Whatsapp is really famous worldwide, used by 700 million users and so in Saudi Arabia as well. It was found in 2009 by two guys working for Yahoo named Brian Acton and Jan Koum. The company is in California. By 19th February 2014, facebook bought it for US$ 19 billion.
It is an alternative to SMS, an application that connects people. It is basically a messenger, which can be installed in your smart phones or tablets like that of apple, iphone, blackberry, nokia, Samsung, android and so on. It works using an internet connection, either 3G, 4G or wifi. It’s a really easy and cheap application, using which you can contact your near and dear ones, anywhere you want through messages, making group chats, sending pictures, videos and voice messages as well. Distances are made short, because of this application, coz usually there is a sufficient amount charged by service providers and telecom companies to talk to people in Saudi Arabia from outside the boundaries. The hustle is solved by this application. It can now be used through desktop browser. This is a new feature launched on Wednesday 21st January 2014. It is on the same format as one uses it on their smart phones. One can call it a mirror image.
No new software is required for this; just the normal Google chrome browser would be enough. It can be installed as an extension of Google Chrome. You will be asked to scan the bar code as it is shown in the pic above with your cell phone. Once it is done, it will be connected and synchronized with the application on your cell phone. However, iOS users cannot avail this facility right now. This is really helpful and convenient for people doing business to use the desktop version. It helps in easily contacting the clients and communicating with everyone without the need to pay for each message. Limiting its use only to the smart phone was a major drawback which is now solved. This application is widely used in Saudi Arabia, reaching approx 50 million users, with 165.1% of penetration rate.
How to Install Whatsapp on your Desktop
- For starting the usage follow these steps:
- Make sure you have latest Whatsapp application installed on your phone.
- Open Google chrome browser and visit the site: http://web.whatsapp.com
- Scan the QR code in the application in your smart phone
- This will result in pairing of your laptop or desktop to the app and there you go!
- Only apple users for the time being cannot use this feature, it is said by Jan Koum, the founder of Whatsapp, because of the limitations of the Apple platform.
Limitations of Desktop Version of Whatsapp
- And obviously there are few limitations to the desktop version for example you cannot view the online or last seen status of the person you are talking to.
- Earlier in June 2013 it was reported by media that Saudi’s Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) will ban such applications like skype, whatsapp, etc. if they don’t fulfill the Kingdom’s criteria. Viber was blocked in the Kingdom and Whatsapp was asked to create a local server which will allow monitoring of the user’s activity. The application is not yet suspended and is easily accessible.
Technological Information about KSA
- Whatsapp blue tick caused Divorce in Saudi Arabia
- 9 Unpleasant Situations you can survive by Removing Whatsapp Blue Ticks
- What is the meaning of GOOGLE?
- ATM Scam: Card Skimming Device at Cash Withdrawal Machines
- 7 reasons of banning FB account by Facebook