Fasting is an Islamic practice which is obligated upon each and every Muslim and it is among the important pillars of Islam. Stopping yourself from drinking, eating and intercourse together with refraining from all evils from dawn to dusk is known as fasting. It has an Islamic history. Muslims all over the world fast for the whole month of Ramadan which is the 9th month in the Islamic calendar. In the end, as the moon is sighted, Muslims are rewarded by the blessing of Eid ul fitr, which they celebrate as a festival with great zeal and excitement.
It is noticed or felt by Muslims that time passes at very slow rate when you are fasting. It may also be because you don’t have to cook or eat at the lunch timings, and you wake up early for fasting purpose, so there is a lot of time in hands for you to do a couple of things. Following are some ideas to pass time while you are fasting.
USING YOUR TIME IN DEVOTION
- Recite Quran: It is really important and huge Sawab to recite the holy Quran in the month of Ramadan especially during fast. It multiplies the sawab and increases your reward. Set up a daily goal of reciting it and complete it in this whole month.
- Memorizing the Surahs: As you recite Quran, start learning some of the Surahs by heart. It’s a good thing which preserves Quran in your heart. Memorize them and also keep on revising the previous one. Your heart will feel contented.
- Do extra Worship: Offer nafil Salah and do extra worship in your free time. This will help strengthen your relation with Allah and draw you closer to him.
- Try to stay inside the house or indoor anywhere and avoid getting in the sun especially in countries where there is a very hot climate like Saudi Arabia. This will just prevent you from dehydration and feeling of fasting.
SPEND TIME WITH OTHERS
- Visit a friend: Visit a friend’s place or call them at yours and have a fun time. Talk out or play games but stay inside. This will pass your time easily.
- Go out: If the weather is moderate you can go out on the streets, have a chit chat with someone or buy groceries or stuff for iftar or next day suhoor. You can also go to the mosque to do worship.
- Helping others: When you are at home, help out your mom and siblings in minor household works from dusting to cleaning. You can also help in preparing iftar. This will pass your time as well as provide help to them and finishing the work faster.
RELAX DURING DAY
- Sleep: If you are totally free with no work you can simply stay up till fajr, offer salah and then sleep until you wake up yourself that is usually by noon. Or you can sleep after the afternoon prayers after finishing all the preparations, then wakeup before the time of breaking the fast.
- Television: You can watch TV and something interesting except food.
- Reading: Read some good novel or exciting stories. This will pass your time really easily without you knowing it.
Ramadan in Saudi Arabia