Arabic Qahwa (coffee) basically denotes the method of Qahwa (coffee) followed by Arabic countries throughout the Middle East. There is a fact that the method varies widely from place to place differing in the quality and type of Qahwa (coffee) beans, different spices or flavoring added to it. This special type of Qahwa (coffee) is cooked in a special container name Dallah on stove and then filled in thermos. It is then served in handless cups named finjaan. This Qahwa (coffee) is of unique blended flavours that differ from our traditional western Qahwa (coffee). But you will surely like it more and prepare for your guests off and on. This Arabic Qahwa is very good especially for the health of men.
Ingredients of Arabic Qahwa (Coffee)
- Arabic Qahwa (coffee) beans- 3Tbsp
- Water- 3 cups
- Crushed cardamom- 1tbsp
- Cloves- 5-6 (optional)
- Saffron- a pinch (optional)
- Rose water- 1tsp (optional)
Preparation of Arabic Qahwa (Coffee)
- Purchase Arabic Qahwa (coffee) beans either roasted or ground.
- Some stores offer these Qahwa (coffee) beans mixed with some spices and flavors. This package won’t allow you to adjust the Qahwa (coffee) and spices according to your choice but will definitely give Qahwa (coffee) its taste.
- You can also buy unroasted Qahwa (coffee) beans and roast them yourself.
- Grind the Qahwa (coffee) beans in grinder if its not pre-ground
- You can grind it in fine powder form or keep a bit coarse particles, depends on your choice.
- Crush cardamom pods and grind those cardamom seeds obtained from it in the grinder into fine powder form.
- Prepare your thermos because usually the Qahwa (coffee) is served from thermos through out the Middle East. For that purpose fill you thermos with boiling water.
Method of Preparing Arabic Qahwa (Coffee)
- Boil 3 cups of water in the Dallah or saucepan on medium flame.
- Remove Dallah from stove and let it cool slightly
- Now add the desired quantity of Qahwa (coffee) and put it back on the stove.
- For 10 to 12 minutes the Qahwa (coffee) will brew itself on low flame covering into foams in water.
- Your Qahwa (coffee) might burn so just remove the Dallah from stove or reduce your flame intensity
- Turn off the flame and remove it from the stove and let it cool for some while
- Then add ground cardamom and cloves if you want.
- Return your Qahwa (coffee) back to the stove and bring it to boil repeating the process again.
- Again remove it from the stove for the foam and Qahwa (coffee) to settle down.
- Empty your thermos because it is preheated now and add rosewater if using
- Pour your Qahwa (coffee) into the thermos now. You can use a strainer too
- Serve Qahwa (coffee) in small cups and fill it half.
- Serve it with something sweet like biscuits or dates
- Milk is usually not added in it so serve it separately if you want.
Drinking of Arabic Qahwa (Coffee)
- Pour, serve and drink the Qahwa (coffee) using right hand.
- Offer multiple cups to your guest. The guest should atleast have one serving
- Swirl you cup to indicate you are done with it and ready for more.
- Etiquettes of drinking Arabic Qahwa have been covered in this link in detail “Etiquettes of Drinking Arabic Qahwa”
Food Issues in Saudi Arabia