Zamzam water is the sacred water for Muslims which is extracted from the Zamzam well situated in Makkah under Masjid al Haram. This is treated as sacred water and Muslims from all over the world take away the bottles of Zamzam water when they go back to their countries after performing Hajj and Umrah. If you go to Haram, you can find coolers of Zamzam water at almost every place. You can drink it as much as you want there but these coolers are designed in such way that you cannot take away Zamzam water in bulk quantity. Saudi Government has given license to some companies to extract the Zamzam water and distribute it to the pilgrims at a very minimal cost of around SR 10 to 15 per bottle so that they can take it back to home. However, recently there are many cases caught by the police where fake Zamzam water was sold by different people. Now it raises a question, how to make sure that the Zamzam water you are buying is Genuine? We have tried to answer it in below lines.
How to make sure that the Zamzam Water is Genuine?
- Zamzam water has many characteristics which are different from normal water. Obviously, the Zamzam water is a miracle from Allah so no human being can add these characteristics in this water. I have explained the characteristics in this link “10 Amazing Facts about ZamZam Water”. But obviously, you cannot send the water to a water laboratory before purchasing it. So, you cannot decide in this way.
- Zamzam water filled in bottles from the Haram (Makkah or Madina) is 100% genuine as it is the responsibility of government to fill these containers. If you have filled your bottle from Zamzam containers from Haram, just forget about anything. The zamzam water is damn genuine. But it is difficult to fill bottles from the containers available in Haram (Makkah or Madina) or even when you fill them; it is difficult to carry them with you.
- Now there are shops in all terminals of Jeddah airport to sell Zamzam water at a minimal cost of SR 9. It includes the cost of packing and everything. They issue one Zamzam water bottle on one passport. If you are purchasing Zamzam water bottle from there, you don’t need to worry about anything. I believe, these shops are run under the strong scrutiny of Saudi government so the Zamzam water available here is genuine. It is a good option to buy Zamzam water from there to carry it back to your home country.
- Normally, Hajj and Umrah agents provide bottles of Zamzam water to the pilgrims. Most of the hajj and Umrah agents make sure that they purchase bottles from the reliable source like from main factory as it is cost effective for them. If this is the case, I think there is no point to worry about. The Zamzam water provided by you through Umrah agent will be genuine Insha Allah!
- If you have spare time, you can visit the factory which is licensed to extract Zamzam water from the well. You can directly buy Zamzam water from there. If you do so, obviously it is 100% genuine. But again, it is difficult to carry a bottle from the remote location.
- Sometimes you buy Zamzam water from different hawkers or shops near your home or even in Makkah. Now the question arises, if the Zamzam water purchased from such shops is genuine. Well, the answer of this question is not simple “YES” or “NO”. But there are many chances that the Zamzam water purchased from these sources will be fake. I don’t say that the Zamzam water sold by them is always fake but you cannot rely upon them. So, personally I would keep it as a last option.
- If someone is selling Zamzam water anywhere out of Saudi Arabia, you should believe that it is not genuine. It is not allowed to export Zamzam water from Saudi Arabia for commercial purpose and the only source of Zamzam water is Zamzam well in Haram Makkah.
Islamic Values in Saudi Arabia
- Attempts to Steal the Holy Body of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W from Madina
- Etiquettes of Drinking ZamZam Water
- Where to buy Zamzam Water in Riyadh
- 10 Amazing Facts about ZamZam Water
- Are you a Muslim who does not pray? Way to motivate yourself