Tuesday, 5 May 2015

How Saudis treat American Citizens in Saudi Arabia - Experience

Amina Qureshi Raja: As a Non-Saudi living in Saudi Arabia, and Alhamdulillah not as a 3rd class citizen but an American citizen, I always felt that EVERYTHING is based on your passport. The first time my husband went to open an account he waited in queue like any normal person. He was holding his Iqama. At the window they guy saw that he is a U.S. citizen, he came out shook his hand and asked him why he stood in queue for so long? He didn't have to, he should have told them and my husband was taken to a personal banker, had coffee and sweets too Allhamdulilah.

Don't forget , the young Saudi officers , texting and playing on their phones while who are standing in a queue, usually don't need to check so much because Saudi visa and all is very restricted, it's either business/employment or hajj/umrah in most cases, right? There is no tourist visa.  I'm talking because, I know exactly what it is to go thru customs, as an MUSLIM / American / French / Pakistani / We have travelled a lot Alhamdulillah and even lived in Saudi Arabia for some time. And guess what? The only place on the globe where I have seen and experienced completely unprofessional, inhuman behavior is, sadly Saudi Arabia. I'm not saying EVERY SINGLE time but most of the time. And I have entered that country many times.

At airport, they see you coming "brown" lady , and you can get closer, and they can " feel" you are not from India/Pakistan then they see your passport and soubhan Allah , as by magic wand , the guy sits up straight , smiles at you , says hello to the kids , he becomes polite immediately. But when you look in the queue, with all those people coming from 3rd world countries, it breaks your heart. Even those for umrah and Hajj, they are treated like cattle. Hours and hours and hours of wait and frustration for the Hajis who are often accompanied with women and kids.

Don't take me wrong, I LOVE Saudi Arabia, we pray Allah S.W.T, we return there one day to live, but again, I'm just giving you my honest Opinion. Don't forget USA / Canada's many universities run on Saudi students very lavish funds. So, it's just that the immigration officer isn't directly affected by these so he doesn't care about Saudi or be Saudis.

Hind AQ Johannesen: I think it's relevant to mention that Saudis often watch American television and as a consequence feel more connected to the culture. I see the same thing with locals who are fond of Indian movies, they relate better to Indians because they have prior knowledge of their culture and have a base to fall back on during introductions. This is not to provide a rebuttal for the fact that third world citizens tend to be treated more poorly. Saudis often conduct themselves towards others the way they imagine the other person's previous standard and expectations are which explains low or lack of salaries. I experience that aspect a Saudi woman myself. If I don't wear my headscarf I'm scolded, while an expat woman isn't approached as often for the same reasons.

Amina: Salam, this is Amina QR , first of all , I would like to say that , I have stopped using my FB account for the past year , and one of my friends sent me a screen shot of this page. This is not an article, written by me for the website, these were some statements made in answer to a question or comment. I believe almost 2 years ago. First of all, I would like to apologize to whoever got offended by any of what I have written back then. Trust me this was not attended to being published in this manner. Anyway I can't remember the exact situation and you will have to forgive me. English is not my first language, and I had no intention to offend anyone. I was just sharing my personal experience, and no not a Native American but I surely am a second generation French born of Pakistani descent.  I really don't want anyone to take the wrong idea about my comments. I was just sharing my personal opinion, and the reality of what I HAVE personally experienced there. Allhamdulilah for everything that was 3 years ago, and that one year in Saudi Arabia changed my life.  Anyways I just wanted to apologize , MY INTENTIONS were not to put anyone down , I love you all for the sake of Allah , and please forgive me , if anything I said hurt you.

Saudi Culture
  1. Tips to get U.S. Visitor-B2 Visa from Saudi Arabia
  2. Tips to apply for H1B USA Visa from Saudi Arabia
  3. Treatment with Saudi Residents by U.S. Immigration Officers
  4. When will Saudi Residents Intimidation stop at U.S. Airports?


Post a Comment


Follow us in Google+