Saud Ash Shuraym is the Imam of the Holy Mosque in Makkah. It is a sacred duty. In the Muslims all over the world, there is a huge respect for the Imam of the Holy Mosque. I really like his recitation a lot. However, my favorite reciter of the verses of Holy Quran is Imam Abdur Rahman Al-Sudais. Let us share some lesser known facts about Imam Al-Shuraim.
- His full name is Saud ibn Ibrahim ibn Muhammad al-Shuraim.
- He was born on January 19 1964 in the capital of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh. He belongs to Sunni Hanbali School of thought. His family is from the Haraqees of the BanuZayd clan of Saudi Arabia.
- He memorized the Quran in the last years of his secondary school
- He suffered orphanage in childhood
- He completed his school firstly from Areen elementary school, then for secondary schooling from Modern schools and for high schooling he went to Al Yarmouk North high school in 1983
- He graduated in year 1988 from Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University. In 1992 he did Master’s and in 1995 PhD degree from the Umm al-Qura University of Mecca.
- After being graduated, he became the part of the High institute of Magistracy
- In 1991, the King of Saudi Arabia King Fahd nominated him as the Imam of Masjid al-Haram
- He was selected as Imam when he was only 25 years of age. He delivered his first sermon in the month of Shawwal and it was the first Friday of the month.
- In the year 1992, he was appointed as a judge of High Court of Makah
- He has served in Umm ulQura University as a Professor since 1995, Later he was appointed as the dean of the department of "Shari'ah and Islamic Studies". In June 2010, the president of the university Dr. Bakri bin Mat'ooqwas promoted him from the position of professor to the specialist professor in fiqh.
- He is not only the Imam of the Holy Mosque but also a deep researcher in fiqh, a judge, and an author who has written many books on aqeedah, fiqh, and Arabic poetry.
- He is one of the most much-admired reciters of the Holy Qur’an. He is also famous for his heart touching style of recitation of the Holy Quran and his voice. Since 1991, he is leading the Taraweeh prayers during Ramadan in Grand Mosque.
- He played an important part in the war of terrorism and strongly makes it clear that Bomb blasts, suicide attacks and terrorism are completely against the teaching of Quran and Sunnah.
- Saud Al-Shuraim condemns violence and bloodshed in Egypt, declares Egyptian martial government as followers of Pharaoh
- Moreover his sermons are often delivered according to the circumstances/current affairs.
- About his personal life, he stated about is mother with his shine of respect and love in his eyes that his mother raised him with great affection and love as his father died in his childhood. And about his wife he said that she is the person who is there for me in good or bad times and proved herself as a best companion
- He travelled a lot. The list of travels is long. He delivered lectures in the countries on an official invitation like Britain, Scotland, Indonesia, South Africa, Rais Al-Khayma, Sharjah, Qatar)
- Sheikh Saud bin Ibrahim al Shuraim is Imam and khateeb of masjid al haram. He is a very well-known personality of the Islamic world. He is a dignified researcher in fiqh,a judge and a poet,he has many trips in many countries,he is a good writer,and has written many books on aqida etc.The recitation of Holy Quran in his melodious voice is very famous.
What is the Salary of Imam Saud Ash Shuraym?
I don’t know if it is true but let me tell you about my personal experience. I was in another country and sitting in a religious gathering. Imam Sudais was also visiting that country during those days. The speaker of the religious conference had met Imam Sudais a couple of days ago. He told all of us that before meeting Imam Sudais, he was curious how do Saudi government pays him. Out of curiosity, he asked this question from Imam but Imam Sudais did not answer it. Later on, one of the people who came along with Imam Sudais to that country told the speaker of the conference that Saudi Government has told all the Imams of Haramain that they cannot pay them for their services. Services provided by these Imams cannot be quantified in terms of money. Saudi government just pays them a blank cheque every month and asks them to fill it as per their needs. Subhan Allah! This is positive side of Saudi Arabia which no one tells you.
Islamic Values in Saudi Arabia