The great pyramid is a true master piece which has rightly earned the well-deserved title of a wonder of the world. The pyramid was built with such detail and precision that even our technology today cannot replicate it. It is recorded in History that this Pyramid was built between 2589 and 2504 B.C. below we have compiled a short list of interesting facts about the great pyramid, that we are sure, you did not know.
Interesting Facts about the Great Pyramid of Giza
- It is estimated that the pyramid has around 2.3 million stone blocks that are said to weigh between 2 to 30 each depending on the size. The base stones are said to weigh around 50 tons.
- The great pyramid of Khufu, the pyramid of Khafre and the pyramid of Menkaure are all perfectly aligned with the constellation or Orion stars.
- The total base of the pyramid covers almost 55,000 square meters, with each side being greater than 20,000 square meters in area.
- The temperature inside the pyramid is constant and is equal to the average temperature of earth which is 20 degrees Celsius.
- The cornerstones of the foundation of the pyramid have ball and socket constructions which are capable in dealing with changes in temperature and even earthquakes.
- A microscopic analysis of the coffer of the pyramid reveals that it was constructed with a fixed point drill which used hard jewel stones and drilled at a force of 2 tons.
- The great pyramid of Giza used to have a swivel door entrance once upon a time. These swivel doors were only found in two other pyramids. These pyramids were the pyramids of Snefery and Huni.
- It has been reported that when the Great Pyramid was first broken into, the swivel door was so well balanced that it could only be opened from the outside, and once it used to shut, it could not be opened from the inside. The door blended with the texture of the pyramid that most people did not remember where the door exactly was.
- When the mantle of the pyramid was placed on top, the Great Pyramid could be viewed from the mountains of Palestine and most probably from the moon as well.
- The total weight of the Great Pyramid is estimated to be around 5,955,000 tons. If you multiply this number by 10^8, it gives a close estimate of the total mass of earth.
- The curvature which has been designed into the faces of the stones of the Pyramid, exactly matches with the radius of the earth.
- The original name for the Great Pyramid of Giza was Khufu’s Pyramid. Khufu’s Pyramid is the largest and oldest pyramid in the world. The pyramid stands at about 481 feet in height.
- Archaeologists have claimed that Khufu’s Pyramid was the largest structure on earth for almost 4 millenniums! If you haven’t ever been to Egypt or to the pyramids, it has been recommended by all to visit the great wonders and mysteries of this world.
Un-known Facts about the World
- Interesting Facts about the Taj Mahal in India
- Interesting Facts about Machu Picchu
- Interesting Facts about Chichen Itza
- Interesting Facts about Great Wall of China
- Interesting Facts about Eifel Tower