The importance of well-functioning toes has long been recognized. Yet, toes are often one of the most neglected parts of the body. There are several pathologies that might affect the toes; very commonly encountered amongst them is onychocryptosis (an ingrown toe nail). Ingrown toenail is a painful nail disease in which the nail grows cutting one or both sides of the nail bed. It results from various etiologies including improperly trimmed nails, hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), poorly fitting shoes, inadvertent trauma, genetic predisposition and poor foot hygiene. Cutting the nails too short encourages the skin next to the nail to fold over it. The consequences of ingrown toenail include discharge of yellow fluid and growth of extra tissue on toe. Some natural remedies found to be very effective in the cure of ingrown toenails will be discussed accordingly.
This method is meant to restrict the growth of nail into the skin, thus it can save you from having a surgery for its removal. Your ingrown toenail should grow out in a few weeks! All you need is a cotton ball, Epsom salt, a pair of tweezers, Neosporin, band-aid, nail-cutter, cuticle remover and warm water those with diabetes are not encouraged to follow.
- The first step is simple and intended to help soften the toenail and prevent the ingrown nails from infections. Soak your feet in warm water and Epsom salt. Repeat this for 15-30 minutes daily. It softens the skin of the affected area, which makes it easy to draw out the toenail from the skin. Now, trim your toenail straight across, with extra care around the ingrown area. Start with the edges of the toenail, protecting the swollen area. Always cut the nails from sides rather than from the middle. Also refrain from cutting too much. Now in order to prevent the ingrown toenail from coming back, use a cuticle remover or something pointy to carefully push the cotton under the toenail. Do not push too hard. Do this daily, and apply fresh cotton to reduce risk of infection. Finally, apply infection preventing ointment or neosporin to the affected area, and keep it bandaged. Keep the toes uncovered to get some air. Replace the cotton daily to prevent infection.
- Moreover, Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural homemade cure to fix the problem. Either consume a spoon of apple cider vinegar, or take it with a spoon of raw honey.
- Few tablespoons mixed in water for foot soaking or direct application of the apple cider vinegar on the affected area, both are effective.
- Wrap the toe with a thin slice of lemon with the help of bandage and keeping it overnight.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used after dilution to soak your foot in it for 15-20 minutes, as it helps the skin around the ingrown toenail to get soft, making the lesion less painful. Other natural remedies include white flower oil, Oregano essential oil, tree tee oil, lavender essential oil, Vicks Vapourub and an antibacterial soap.
Health Issues in Saudi Arabia
- 9 ways to get rid of Snoring
- Killing effects of Peracetamol to our Body
- 5 Things People Don’t Tell You When You Start Working Out
- What Finger Length reveals about your Personality?
- Women Health Rights in Saudi Arabia