Ever heard of Finland? Yes, it’s that country somewhere in Europe. Not many people know many things about the country, the great things they have contributed to this earth and what all they are famous for. Finland is the 6th largest country in Europe and only has a population of 5.4 million people; this makes it an average of 16 people per km squared. Here are some cool facts about Finland and its people that you might find interesting;
Unknown Interesting Facts about Finland
- All Finnish people love their Saunas. There are more than 2 million saunas in Finland, which makes it an average of 1 sauna per household! Saunas have a lot of medical benefits such as cleansing skin, relaxing muscles and reducing stress.
- You probably didn’t know that there is a town called Nokia in Finland. The mobile phone originated from this area and the company is said to be a wood mill in the 1800s. Nokia, prior to mobile phones, was producing tires, rubber boots and rain coats too.
- The Finnish gave the word Xylitol, which is great for dental health amongst general health too. It is known to prevent cavities, cut off acid attack and also can reduce ear infections in children.
- Everybody loves Angry Birds, but not many people know that Angry Birds was originally created by a Finnish gaming company called Rovio. Finland is also home to many Angry Birds amusement parks and anything else which can be themed into Angry Birds.
- Finland is known for its excellent education system and many countries around the world have been trying to find out the secret behind their high scores year after year. This isn’t an innovation, but it’s something to be proud of.
- SMS was also invented by a Finnish man but unfortunately he never got to see a cent for his brilliant short messaging service idea.
- Benecol the miracle margarine was also invented in Finland. The margarine is scientifically proven to reduce cholesterol levels. This is due to the fact that it contains stanols and sterols. This product is now sold worldwide.
- Finland is also home to the real Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus. There exists an entire village where Santa, his wife and many little Santa’s helper, where they receive millions of letters through their post office. These letters come from kids expressing their love for
- The Finnish were ice skating since around 5 millenniums ago. That might be the reason their team is the best in the world.
- Only Finnish people will agree with me on this fact but Salmiakki, which is also known as salty licorice, is only made in Finland. This unique licorice is just black licorice mixed with Ammonium Chloride. This is considered by the Finns as one of their gifts to the world.
- In addition to this, Finland is home to some of the friendliest and most beautiful people in the region, which is already notorious for its good looks.
Source: Blue Abaya
Un-known Facts about the World
- Top 6 Countries with Slowest Internet
- Interesting Facts about the Roman Colloseum
- Edward Mordrake, a man with Two Faces!
- 10 Animals with Longest Life Span
- 13 Unknown Interesting Facts about Sunny Leone