Who does not know about the clock tower in Makkah? I think every Muslim living in Saudi Arabia has visited this clock tower as it is adjacent to the Holy Haram. While travelling to the Makkah by road, the clock tower can be seen even when you are miles away. It has become second most important landmark for Makkah after Masjid al Haram. Today, we are going to write about 9 facts about the Clock Tower, Makkah which are lesser known to the world.
9 Unknown Facts about the Clock Tower in Makkah
- 3rd Tallest Building in the world: Makah clock tower is also known as Abraj Al-Bait towers is the third tallest building in the world located few meters from Masjid Al-haram; the world’s largest Mosque. It has a height of 601 meter (1,972 feet), 120 floors above the ground and 3 floors below the ground and contains 96 elevators in all that provides easy access to and from Masjid Al-Haram. It provides captivating view of kaaba.
- Cost of the Project is $15 billion: Dar Al- Handasah partners are the architectural engineers of the project. The project also includes 6 other buildings which are constructed for hotels, residential purposes and shopping malls. It offers 9 restaurants, 24-hour concierge services and free Wi-Fi in all rooms.
- Tallest Clock Tower: The clock tower is the tallest tower in the world, the clock is visible from 17 kilometers away. It provides accommodation for devout Muslims and can accommodate up to 2 million worshippers over the course of the event. Designed with comfort in mind, the spacious residences are a perfect home for pilgrims and families who desire to enjoy the serenity of the Holy City from their rooms.
- Largest Floor Area: The clock tower has the largest floor area up to 1,500,000 m2. .
- Record Time Construction: For a building of gargantuan proportions it was constructed in record time. The clock tower project was completed in 6 years.
- Largest Clock Dial: The giant clock face is 43 meters in size, 23 meters in length and weighs about 21 tons. The huge clock is used for the prayer call to the worshippers in Makah. The clock is 36 times bigger than the big ben. Four colossal clocks are mounted at the top of the towers. 2 million LED lights illuminate clock tower at night. “Allah is the greatest” is written on the north and south sides while Quran is written on the east and west sides.
- The tower is adorned with 98 million mosaic tiles with 24 carat gold leaves
- The pinnacle of the mega structure is adorned with 26 searchlights capable of shooting 10km into the skies
- The skyscraper houses Saudi Arabia’s highest observation deck at 558 meters above ground level. The complex also provides Islamic museum, lunar observation area and prayer room with a space of 10,000 people.
Un-known Facts about Saudi Arabia
- Do you know what is inside the Crescent of Makkah Tower?
- 13 Un-known facts About Albaik
- 11 Interesting Facts about the Masjid of King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center
- 11 Unknown Facts about the Meaning of Saudi Arabian Flag
- 11 Unknown Facts about the King Abdullah International Stadium