During this day, the sun stays on top for a longer period of time than it usually does on other days, which in turn means more hours of daylight. The term or word Solstice has been derived from the old Latin word Solstitium which translates to “the sun stands still”.During the solstice, the sun appears to have stopped in the sky. This essentially just means that the sun stops moving any further northward after it reaches the tropic of cancer, after which the journey of the sun begins southwards.
In the southern hemisphere, the summer solstice falls on the 22nd of December which is actually the winter solstice for the northern hemisphere. The summer solstice occurred in 2015 on 21 June on 16:38 UTC.Here are a few facts about the 2015 summer solstice that you didn’t know;
- On the 21st of June 2015 the shadow cast by the sun at noon will be the shortest ever, if you are located in the northern hemisphere.
- The summer solstice day was also warmer as the rays of the sun fall directly at a sharp angle to the ground.
- While the summer solstice brings the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere, the same day is naturally the shortest in the southern hemisphere.
- The Stonehenge monument located in England hosts many visitors who go there to observe the great sight each year.
- The summer solstice has religious significance for our Christian brothers and sisters as it was this day which marks the birth of St. John the Baptist. Many pagan bonfire rituals are also held on this day.
- In the city of New York, thousands gather at the Times Square to perform yoga and meditate starting from sunrise to sunset. The summer solstice day of 2015 is also the international Yoga day.
- Additionally 21 June or summer solstice day was also Fathers day which made the day a tri event, and gave fathers around the world a little more time to celebrate their day.
Un-known Facts about the World
- Unknown Interesting Facts about Finland
- The World’s Fastest Electromagnet Train does not touch the Ground at 600 KM/Hour
- 8 Most Devastating Earthquakes of the World
- Zimbabwe Dollar – The World’s Weakest Ever Currency
- Top 6 Countries with Slowest Internet