Undoubtedly there is not even one human being that can come even close to the perfection found in the qualities, characteristics and manners as did our Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him). The more and more we educate ourselves about him, the more we find out how great a leader he was, how good a husband he was, what a merciful person and a kind father too and we fall in love with the Prophet (peace be upon him) more and more. It is common knowledge that the Prophet had been attributed with many names during his lifetime, although he was known as Muhammad (peace be upon him), there were other names too.
- Through the names of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) we can learn more about the type of person that he was. Even though Mohammad is the most common name in the Muslim world today, some would be shocked or surprised to know that the name Mohammad was never used prior to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him), after the passing of the Prophet’s father, His grandfather named him.
- Mohammad and Ahmad both were names of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) and both the names were derived from the Arabic verb i.e. to Praise. Muhammad means the one who is praised, due to the qualities and characteristics which are possessed by the Prophet (peace be upon him).
- Amongst the other names of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) was also Al Maahi which essentially means the one through whom Allah will wipe out the disbelief from amongst the people and the disbelievers. When the Prophet (peace be upon him) was born, the entire Arabian Peninsula had been engulfed in widespread disbelief. After the message of Islam was spread by the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) all of Arabia was immersed heavily in Islam. Within the next 60 or 70 so years of the death of the Holy Prophet (PBUH), Islam had reached China to the east and to Spain in the west.
- The name of Al Haashir was also given to the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) by Allah. The literal translation of the name Al Haashir means that after him or once he has passed, the people will be resurrected.
- Another one of the Holy Prophet’s names was Al Aqib which means that there will be No more Prophets of Allah after the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
- Al Muqaffa, another one of the Prophet’s name translated to the fact that he descended from a long line of Prophets who came before him, and one who completes the message of the previous Prophets.
- Other names of the Prophet which are well known are Mustafa and Mukhtar, both of which means that the chosen or preferred one by Allah.
- One name which many might not know is the name Siraj, which has been used to refer to the Prophet in the Holy Quran where it means a bright sun or an illuminating light.
Source: Saudi Gazette
Islamic Values in Saudi Arabia
- 6 Rights of Newly Born Baby to the Parents
- She accepted Islam at 81 after short meeting with a Muslim boy in a Bus
- The Pillars of Masjid al Nabawi - Unknown Facts
- Can we perform Tawaf on behalf of others?
- Why I converted to Islam? - Lew Alcindor