A lot of people use a statement in their conversations which is “Heaven on earth” because they are so delighted by the scenic view, the panoramic beauty forces people to say it that they have seen heaven on earth. But there is one place on earth which comes close to the statement and that place is none other than Masjid al Nabawi. Muslims all over the world do their best to have a glimpse of it in real life. It is a place that every Muslim is aware of but there are some interesting facts that even Muslims living there don’t know.
9 Unknown Facts about the Masjid al Nabawi (Prophet’s Mosque)
- The first ever place on Arabian Peninsula to have electricity: When electricity was first introduced to Arabian Peninsula, this mosque was the first place to be lit up. As the records say that even Sultan of Istanbul himself had full access to electricity after many years for his palace.
- The present mosque is larger than the old city: As they say that the present mosque is at least 100 times bigger than the old city. That actually means that the present mosque is basically covering the whole old city. This is said because in the old days Jannat-Ul-Baqi was based on the outskirts of the city where as now it is in the mosque. This also makes one wonder how small the old city was?
- Empty grave in the Prophet’s room: It is a belief of many that there is an empty space next to the grave of Prophet (PBUH), Abu Bakr and Umar. This was also confirmed by the people who went to change the Hujra in 1970’s and they witnessed an empty grave next to those three graves. Some say that it is for Isa when he returns but there is no confirmation.
- Destroyed by Fire: Centuries after Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) died, there was an extensive fire that broke out. It was so bad that many of the mosques including the mimbar of Prophet (PBUH) was destroyed. The fire did damage to the walls and roof of the Prophet’s room that the whole thing fell apart and it revealed the resting place for the first time in 600 years.
- There are two domes: For more than 600 years there were no dome over Prophet (PBUH)’s grave and now there are two. The first one was made of wood which was built by Mamluk Sultan. There is also an inner dome that has the name of Prophet Mohammad, Abu Bakr and Umar inscribed on the inside.
- Purple Dome: The dome has gone through many color changes. There was a time when it was white and then it was changed to Purple-blue, the Hijaz were very fond of Purple color. The current form that it is in was finalized 150 years ago.
- Three Mehrabs: Usually you will see mosques with only one mehraab but Masjid e Nabwi has three. The one which is used now is used by the the Imam to lead prayers.
- Items from the room of Fatima R.A.: There were many priceless items in the room of Fatima that were moved by the Ottoman commander to Istanbul during First World War. They can now be seen at Toplapi Palace.
- Full of Signs: The mosque is full of secret signs; each corner carries a significant value. It also indicates the location of the event that was historically carried out. It also holds spiritual value.
Islamic Values in Saudi Arabia
- 8 Beautiful Names given to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
- 10 Facts about the Migration of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
- The Importance, History and Unknown Facts about Hajre Aswad (The Black Stone)
- 7 Remarkable things about Hazrat Khadijah (R.A)
- Un-Known Facts about Imam Abdur Rahman Al-Sudais