Even though there have been many developments in the world of medicine as well as science, we still have not been able to come up with a substitute for human blood. This is one of the main reasons that blood donations to Blood Banks are of vital importance. People have been donating blood at Blood Banks all around the world since a long time. They either donate their blood for family, friends or sometimes even for complete strangers, who they have never met. The Blood Bank at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center have been working to provide the people with a reliable source to obtain blood.
- In order for anyone to donate their blood firstly they must be registered with the Blood Bank. They should also provide the Blood Bank with an authentic form of identification which the banks will then keep in their custody until the entire process of donating blood has been completed.
- The donor will also have their photographs taken as well as their finger prints. Donors must also provide their full name, address and their contact number to the Blood Bank. Upon completion of this process the donor’s previous donations, if there are any, will show up on the Blood Bank’s system. Subsequently the donor is also required to fill out a form which is based upon donor medical history.
- After all these steps are completed, the donor is then taken to a waiting room where he or she is provided with an informative circular or pamphlet which lists down precautionary as well as informative content which should be known by the donor.
- Finally the donor must sign a consent form prior to beginning the procedure, and they can also question, or be questioned by the medical personnel on any queries that they might be having. After this last and final step is done, the donor is taken into the room where the blood is actually taken out of them.
- The entire process of actually donating the blood, without all the paperwork takes no longer than 10 minutes. After the donation process is done, the donors are advised not to move around or to leave the Blood Bank. The donors are then provided a post donation care pamphlet or information along with refreshments such as juice, drink or light snacks.
- It is recommended by the medical personnel to have something from the refreshments and to relax before you continue on with the rest of your day.
- After the blood is taken away it is placed inside a quarantine zone for safe keeping and tests are run on the blood sample to ensure that the blood does not have any bacteria or virus such as hepatitis or AIDS. Once cleared it is then labeled with the blood group and deposited in the Blood Bank.
- The Donor has the choice to withdraw his donor status at any given time, and has an obligation to inform the Blood Bank if any medical condition rises after the blood donation.
- Act of Donating Blood in Saudi Arabia
- Important Tips to Donate Blood in Blood Banks of Saudi Arabia
- How to Register for Alfursan Frequent Flyer Program?
- Procedure to open Post Box (PO Box) in Saudi Arabia
- Experience of Getting Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) – Indian Citizen