Zaatar is the basic ingredient of any Arab kitchen. You will not find even a single kitchen here in KSA which may lack this herb. It has number of uses in and outside the kitchen of a house. It is basically derived from a Greek terminology “Thumus” which refers to courage of strength. Thym is a shrub belonging to Mint family Lamiaceae. The best spice mix you can take from Zaatar, it can give a new taste to your dishes. During ancient times, Egyptian used to mummify their dead ones by using Zataar. Greek people used it as air freshener in their temples. Not only this, this young women had also used it for beauty and fragrance purposes. Oil of Thymol was used as mouth freshener during past and currently it is an important ingredient of Listerine Mouthwash. Perfumes, hand sanitizers and many more things are available in market which is made up of Thymol.
In medical industry it is commonly used as fungal and bacterial infection treatment and is a part of medicines used as first aid. During World War II wounds were commonly dressed after applying Thymol. The life span of this herb is maximum 2 years in forests but it can be used for longer duration in case preserved in suitable temperature and environment. Worldwide 350 species of Thymol exist which are used in different products including medicine, cosmetic, household etc. some of the unknown facts about Zaatar are as follows;
- During past years it was commonly considered that Zaatar has ability to alert mind and keep a person active. Owing to this fact Zaatar sandwiches were available in market.
- The scientists have proved that Zaatar has no such characteristic and this perception is totally a myth. This myth was fabricated during civil war of Lebanon in order to encourage warriors regarding their strength and courage.
- It is a famous shrub for use in Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt, Syria and Tunisia.
- Thyme is a rich source of Vitamin C.
- Those who are worried from Acne issues, they can easily get rid of it without spending so much money, yes Thyme is the best solution for skin care against Acne.
- Knights and warriors during medieval times used to cover their scarves with Thyme in order to show their courage and valor.
- The common perception related to fairies is that they are in love with Thyme. People belonging to France, England and other regions made a bed of thyme as they considered it a best way to attract Fairies.
- Thyme gained fame after being included in Shakespeare’s literature. “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” the novel of Shakespeare referred that the queen of fairies sleeps on a bed of thyme at the bank of a river.
- Thyme helped people in 17th century to see fairies.
- Thyme since ancient times has been in use for infection prevention and wound healing.
- Thyme is a best ingredient which relieves acidity of stomach and keeps the stomach calm and set.
Food Issues in Saudi Arabia
- 13 Un-known facts About Albaik
- 10 Best Types of Dates in Saudi Arabia
- The World Famous Albaik Garlic Sauce Recipe
- The World Famous Albaik - Secret Broast Recipe
- 7 Best Restaurants in Jeddah to visit on a weekend