Once the card has been issued, it would then be integrated with Jawazat and the Labor office. Currently the foreigners are only allowed to come in to the Kingdom via a sponsorship or through SAGIA. This new system would allow the expatriates to become their own sponsors. The system of Kafala which is currently in place in the Kingdom seems to not be working as it should. Under this Kafala system, any migrant or expatriate workers status is bound to one sponsor or individual for whatever time is stated in the contract.
7 Benefits of the New Saudi Green Card System to Expatriates
According to the opinion of different immigration experts operating in Saudi Arabia, under the new Green Card System, the expatriates will enjoy the following benefits;
- The Kafala System will come to an end and expatriates would now become their own sponsor
- The worker would get
permanent residency in Saudi Arabia. He will not have to worry about the expiry
of his iqama. Saudi green card will only
be given to foreign investors and highly qualified experts among expats,
according to a top Shoura Council official. Arab News
- All expatriates can engage in any and all business in the Kingdom without having a local or Saudi partner.
- The worker will get to enjoy free medical treatment just like the locals or Saudi nationals.
- If the resident expatriate pays the GOSI, they will receive a pension upon their retirement.
- The expatriates would now be able to apply for any loans which had been limited to only nationals in the past.
- They would be allowed to buy property in Saudi Arabia
WHAT YOU STILL CANNOT DO UNDER THE NEW SYSTEM
Though there are several benefits and advantages of the new system, there are still some things which you will not be allowed to do;
- Green Card holding expatriates would not be able to vote in elections
- They would not be able to hold any public office in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- They would not be able to remain outside of the KSA for a long period of time.
- They would not be allowed to enlist in to the Saudi Armed Forces
Latest News: Jawazat Related
- Saudi Green Card System for Expatriates “very soon”
- Free SIM Cards and Free Balance to New Expat Workers in Saudi Arabia
- Women Workshop Owners charging SR 20,000 for transfer of sponsorship
- Expats and dependents should not exceed 20% of total Population – Saudi Minister
- Expats are no longer need to be harassed by the Agents