Abayas are way more famous these days, especially in Arab culture. It is necessary for a woman to wear Abaya while going out even if she is with her Mehram. Expats are not very much familiar that what kind of Abayas they should wear, especially ones who belong to western culture. Abaya should be sophisticated enough to meet its purpose of veil and it should not be too appealing, glittering or eye catching. Here are few tips for you if you want to buy a decent Abaya;
- Keep it simple and sleek: Some women go for color contrast, beats, shiny laces and eye catching accessories. The best look it gives when you keep is simple suiting your personality. Don’t match contrasting stripes or stop beading it here and there.
- Chose decent colors: Colorful Abayas have no harm but the most liked color for Abaya is evergreen black. Some other colors may suit your personality but black colors suits to all occasions whether it is a funeral ceremony or wedding.
- Don’t choose fitted Abayas: Too fitted Abayas don’t meet the purpose of veil, it also give you a strange look. People feel judgmental about you especially here in KSA and you may become the topic for commentary for others. Avoid such shear Abayas
- Be cautious while selecting Fabric: It is very important to choose right type of stuff for Abaya in each season. Light fabric for summer and heavier one for winter is suitable. If you will wear same kind of stuff whole year it may suffocate you. Brown or black Farwa fabric is also suitable for cold weather, strictly avoid it during summers.
- Tarhas matching: You can match you Tarhas while wearing simple or colored Abayas
- Design your own Abaya: There are so many shops where you can buy a stitched and readymade Abaya. Still you think that there is nothing that suits your personality; you can design your own. Dakheel is the best place to buy fabrics; after it visit a good tailor and share the design you have in your mind.
- Fabric is cheap: The rate of fabrics is same everywhere. If you go anywhere in KSA the market rate for Fabric varies between SR 30 – SR 100 per meter. You should not pay way higher price at any shop for this stuff.
- Tailors rates are fixed: If you want to get your Abaya stitched the fixed price for Abaya stitching varies between SR 100 to 200. If a tailor is charging more than it, it is overcharging.
- Customize your Abaya: If you have bought a stitched Abaya but you are not liking something in it, you can customize it from anywhere by paying a little.
- Royal mall or Taibah good places for Abaya shopping: You can get a very good Abaya from Royal mall or Taibah. It will cost you between SR 100 to SR 300. If a shop keeper is charging you even more than it just leave it, it is not worth it
Source: Destination KSA
- 13 Problems Faced by women who Wear Abayas
- 15 Secrets Girls Who Wear Abaya Won’t Tell You
- The evolution of Abaya in Saudi Arabia
- Abaya Measurement Guide
- Beware of Escalators and Trailing Abayas in KSA
- Are women bound to wear Abayas in the Car (legally) in KSA?
- Abaya Trends in Saudi Arabia