An International Driving License or International Driving Permit is a document sanctioned by the United Nations. It translates your driving classification into 9 different languages. International Driving License issued by any country is recognized in more than 150 countries all around the world. However, it is important to mention here that you can only drive on International Driving License if you are travelling to that country on visitor’s visa. In case you have travelled there on permanent visa, you need to apply for a proper driving license. In case you are planning to rent a car in the country you are planning to visit, the International Driving License is the first and most important document you will have to produce.
In the same way, if you are coming to Saudi Arabia on visit visa, you can drive on the basis of International Driving License issued by your country. However, if you have come here on work visa, you need to apply for a proper driving license. I think it is important to have an International Driving License even if you are not expecting a travel to any country soon. We have explained the Procedure to Apply for International Driving License in Saudi Arabia and some important tips and information below. Also Read: Getting Driving License in Saudi Arabia
- You can get International Driving License from any renowned travel agent who is authorized to issue a driving license in Saudi Arabia. I know 3 names that are authorized to issue a driving license in Saudi Arabia namely, Al Tayyar, ELAF and Al Mossad. There will be many more, you can check with others and update us about their authority. Whenever you go there for the issuance of International Driving License, take following documents with you.
- Copy of Passport
- Original Iqama and Copy of Iqama
- Original Driving License and Copy of Saudi Driving License
- 2 Passport Size Photographs
- Fee for the issuance of International Driving License in Saudi Arabia ranges from SR 130 to SR 150 depending upon the travel agent you visit.
- The International Driving License is valid for only 1 year
- Make sure that there is no unpaid traffic violation under your Iqama, otherwise it will be rejected by the International Driving License System. Recommended: Check Traffic Violation under your Iqama
- You must be 18 years old at the time of applying for International Driving License in Saudi Arabia
- Getting Driving License in Saudi Arabia
- Passing Computer Test for Saudi Driving License
- Check Originality of Saudi Driving License
- Renewal of Saudi Driving License
- Driving Licenses issued by 33 countries can be exchanged with Dubai Driving License