As a resident of Saudi Arabia, you should know that it is illegal to hire a domestic worker in Saudi Arabia who is not under your sponsorship. If it is illegal, what is the legal procedure to hire domestic workers in Saudi Arabia? Well, there are two ways through which you can legally hire domestic workers in Saudi Arabia. The first way is to apply for their visa through Istiqdam and complete all other requirements. We have explained this procedure in another article “Procedure to Hire Domestic Worker in Saudi Arabia”. The second way is to transfer their sponsorship to your name. This article explains in detail the Procedure to Transfer Domestic Worker’s Sponsorship. Also Read: SR 100,000 Fine, 6 months Jail & Deportation if Illegal Housemaid is caught from your Home
Procedure to Transfer Domestic Worker’s Sponsorship
- Selection of a Domestic Worker is a crucial matter as she will be part of your family, living in your house and sharing many things with you. There are some factors which you need to consider while selecting a Domestic Worker in Saudi Arabia. Recommended: Factors to Consider when selecting a Domestic Worker in Saudi Arabia
- Another important issue is to check if domestic worker’s iqama is transferable. In most of the cases, current employer of the domestic worker would ask new employer to compensate him for the costs he has incurred to bring domestic worker to Saudi Arabia. This cost will be more than the cost you will be incurring today to bring a domestic worker to Saudi Arabia. If you agree to the cost, you can proceed to first step to transfer domestic worker’s sponsorship. Also Read: How to check if your Iqama is Transferable?
- First step to Transfer Domestic Worker’s Sponsorship is to write a demand letter in Arabic for the current employer of the domestic worker to allow you to transfer the sponsorship of domestic worker. The letter must be attested by the company or organization where new employer works. It should also be attested by the Chamber of Commerce if new employer is working in private organization. Recommended: Important Points about Attestation from Chamber of Commerce
- A release letter by the current employer that there is no problem in getting the sponsorship transferred to the new employer. This letter must be attested by the chamber of commerce in case if he works in a private organization. No need for COC if he is working in a government organization.
- After receiving this letter, you need to pay the fee for the transfer of sponsorship of domestic worker through SADAD. Recommended: Procedure to pay Transfer of Sponsorship Fee Online
- If you are fulfilling all the below mentioned requirements, visit Jawazat office with following documents to transfer the sponsorship of domestic worker to your name. Jawazat will collect these documents and issue you a new iqama with your name as sponsor.
- Original Iqama and Copy
- Original Passport and Copy
- Copy of Iqama of domestic worker
- Duly Filled Form
Requirements to Transfer Domestic Worker’s Sponsorship
- An expatriate is allowed to hire a Domestic Worker in Saudi Arabia if his Iqama is suitable. Definition of suitable Iqama is full of conflicts since there is no list available at any government website detailing about the professions who are eligible to hire Domestic Workers in Saudi Arabia. However, we have compiled a list of professions in Saudi Arabia who are eligible to hire Domestic Workers. This list is not comprehensive but still gives idea about the eligibility of hiring housewife in Saudi Arabia. You can check your profession in this list. “List of Professions in Saudi Arabia” However, people with the profession of businessmen are also allowed to hire Domestic Workers in Saudi Arabia.
- The applicant for the Domestic Worker’s visa must be married if he is a male. There is no condition for marriage for a woman.
- One Saudi family is entitled to 5 domestic workers while expatriate families and Saudis married to expatriates are allowed to have 2 domestic workers.
- In order to obtain first Domestic Worker visa, you must have a minimum salary of SR 5,000 per month and bank balance of SR 35,000 kept for at least 6 months. In order to obtain second Domestic Worker visa, you must have a minimum salary of SR 18,000 per month and bank balance of SR 120,000 kept for at least 6 months. In order to obtain 3rd and 4th Domestic Worker visa, you must have a minimum salary of SR 30,000 per month and bank balance of SR 250,000 kept for at least 6 months. In order to obtain 5th Domestic Worker visa, you must have a minimum bank balance of SR 500,000 kept for at least 6 months. Source: Arab News
Domestic Workers in Saudi Arabia
- Hiring Housemaid in Saudi Arabia
- Black Market of Housemaids in Saudi Arabia
- How much should I pay for a Driver in Saudi Arabia?
- SR 50,000 cost for legally hiring a housemaid during the month of Ramadan
- Housemaid Impregnated by boy of 13 Years