There are some people who swear by sticking a Q tip or cotton swab into their ear in order to remove any debris or excess wax buildup. Anybody in the medical field can tell you that there have been many mishaps which have resulted from these cotton swabs. These range from punctured eardrums to extremely impacted ear wax, and there are even more negative consequences which are associated with cleaning your ears yourself. There are several items which people use in order to clean their ears. Some of them also include Paper clips, Hair pins, Pencils and pens, Tweezers, Straws, Toys and Cotton swabs.
- A majority of the people do not even know that we should not be cleaning the inside of our ears with the Cotton swabs. This could lead to a loss in hearing or even permanent damage to the ear.
- While this is only a portion of the list, it is vital to understand that no foreign object should be put in our ear in order to remove dirt or wax. This is extremely dangerous and can cause severe damage in the short run and long run.
- The ear canal has special cells which produce cerumen, or in common man terminology, ear wax. For some people the wax accumulates much faster than other. This is turn can lead to a wax buildup which can decrease our hearing and also cause pain in extreme cases.
- In their laziness, people resort to using the Cotton swabs rather than go to their doctor. While this may save you time, it will do you more harm than good.
- The eardrum can be reached easily with a swab, but since it is so delicate, it can be ruptured or damaged easily by applying even a little pressure while using swabs. If the ear drum is ruptured, you will definitely know as it is accompanied with a severe pain, and also leakage of clear fluid from the ear. Over time the eardrum may heal itself however it will take a long time, and the loss of hearing will not be repaired.
- In most of the cases, the ear canal is not in need of cleaning. During our bath enough water enters the canal and loosens the wax. In many cases, the wax will get loose and will fall out while you sleep; hence there is no need for a cotton swab.
For those individuals who have an extra ordinary amount of wax build up, it is recommended to go to your medical professional as help may be needed. The doctor can clean out the entire ear without damaging the ear drums. Some patients can learn how to do so from their doctors if they cannot make it to the clinic or hospital every time they need their ears cleaned. So we must ask ourselves, should we really clean our own ears. This can be a tricky question as the answer may have a little bit of both yes and no.
Health Issues in Saudi Arabia
- 10 Myths about Smoking, we should stop believing
- 14 Cancer Symptoms Men Normally Ignore in their Daily Life
- 8 Signs to show you are not drinking enough water
- What causes some people to be left or right handed?
- 6 reasons you can have Yellow or Pale Hands