The Human Immunodeficiency Virus, better known as HIV is a lenti-virus (which is a subgroup of the retrovirus which causes the HIV infection, and with time Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome or AIDS. AIDS is a condition found in humans in which the immune system progressively fails and subsequently allows life threatening cancers or infections to thrive within. Without any treatment, the average time of survival after being injected with HIV is estimated to be between 9 to 11 years, depending on the subtype of HIV. A person can get infected by HIV by the transfer of bodily fluids such as semen, blood, vaginal fluid, breast milk or pre ejaculate. HIV is present in these fluids as both a virus within infected immune cells and as a free virus.
The HIV virus infects the vital cells within the immune system of the human body such as the helper T cells (specifically the CD4 T Cells), dendritic cells and macrophages. The HIV Infection leads to your CD4 T cells becoming dangerously low, via various mechanisms which include pyroptosis of the abortively infected T cells and direct viral killing of the infected cells. HIV is spread all over the world, some places more than others. Below are the top 5 countries around the world with highest percentage of HIV infection amongst the adult population;
- Swaziland is the country with the highest percentage of HIV amongst the adult population. In accordance to estimates taken back in 2014, Swaziland has 27.73 percent HIV infection amongst the adult population.
- Botswana is second on this list of countries with highest percentage of adult population infected by the HIV Virus. According to estimates back in 2014, Botswana has 25.16 percent of their adult population infected with HIV.
- Lesotho is third on this list. In accordance to estimates from 2014, Lesotho has 23.39 percent of its total adult population infected with the HIV Virus.
- South Africa comes in at number 4 on this list of countries with highest HIV rates amongst adults. According to estimates from 2014, 18.92 percent of the adult population in South Africa is infected by the HIV virus.
- Zimbabwe is the last country on this list of top 5 countries with highest percentage of adult population infected by HIV. In accordance to estimates back in 2014, 16.74 percent of Zimbabwe’s adult population is infected with HIV virus.
- India comes in at number 90 on the list of countries with highest HIV infection rates around the world. In accordance to 2014 estimates, 0.26 percent of the adult population in India is infected with the HIV virus.
- Pakistan comes in at number 113 on the same list. In accordance to estimates from 2014, 0.09 percent of the adult population in Pakistan is currently infected with the HIV virus.
- Also Philippines and Saudi Arabia stand at the same level on the list. According to 2011 estimates both countries have less than 0.1 percent of the adult population is infected with HIV.
Source: Central Intelligence Agency
Un-known Facts about the World
- Shaving Head by Illegal Barber after Umrah may cause HIV & AIDS
- 6 Ways through which HIV (AIDS) is transmitted to another body
- Story of an HIV+ Girl who infected 324 people with AIDS to take revenge
- Fish Massage could get you HIV AIDS or Hepatitis
- Fine of SR 500,000 to the Hospital who infected a Girl with HIV AIDS