The culture and values of Saudi Arabia manifest Islamic heritage and the old Bedouin traditions. Keeping a magnificent pet falcon is a desire of every Saudi man. The rich Saudis are famous for their signature love for Falcon. They carry their Falcon with them on hunting. They don’t mind paying a handsome amount for these falcons. The tradition of keeping a pet falcon is very old and Saudi men feel pride of having falcons in their houses. Among other sports and recreational activities including horse racing and camel riding, falconry is one traditional sport that dates back from centuries. Saudi men keep the Falcons and tame them as their pet. Saudis carry beautiful Falcons which wear a hood and they look so powerful like majestic birds. There are few facts about these falcons which makes Saudis invest in them without any doubt and feel pride in return. No doubt these facts and figures justify well why Saudis don’t mind paying Saudi Riyal 210,000 for this amazing creature.
- The Falcon is boosted with ultimate powers to catch the prey a mile high up in the sky. A falcon can live up to 15 years of age.
- There are various kinds of Falcons but the most famous are the Shaheen, the peregrine Falcons and Saker also known as falcon chirrup.
- The word Falcon originates from the Latin word peregrinus which means “to wander here and there”. Falcon peregrinus is the scientific name of Falcon and these are commonly known as Duck Hawk.
- Unlike other types of Falcons the peregrine falcons are found all over the world except in Antarctica. These huge birds are so powerful that they can easily dive at 200 miles per hour thus, they are known as the fastest flying birds in the world.
- The peregrine Falcon chicks are called eyases which eat a generous amount of food to grow into powerful big falcons. Chicks take time to learn the preying tactics from their parents. Both the male and female are very sensitive about protecting their babies. They incubate the eggs for a month and usually they prey and eat bats, birds like song birds and ducks.
- Falcons survive on other birds as they are brilliant in preying. They are amazing predators.
- They have dark brown backs with bluish grey wings with clear white faces.
- Falconry falls in the category of the worlds’ oldest sport. This sport actually begins as a more efficient way of catching food.
- Early men train predators to capture prey which earth bound man could not reach.
- The specific origin of falconry is ambiguous in the mist of time but it was practices as sports by the commoners and kings from Japan and china to medieval Europe. With the passage of time the Falcons are used for falconry by the Saudi falconers who are very enthusiastic while bringing up their falcons and the falconers take extra care of them.
Entertainment in Saudi Arabia
- Falconry Display organized in Saudi Desert - 1 Falcon costs SR 210,000
- A Theme Park with Global Standards – Demand of Saudi Residents
- Big Show was interviewed in Jeddah - What did he say about his Saudi Fans?
- Souq Okaz peeps into Pre-Islamic Saudi Arabia
- How Pakistanis Celebrate Independence Day (14th August) in Saudi Arabia?