Internet scammers are growing in number day by day. Everyone around, especially the expats, are victims to these internet frauds and scams. Even educated individuals like doctors and engineers are fooled by these fake fraud campaigns, duping some renowned companies and schemes. People; as a result lose their precious time, money and effort. In this article, we will be sharing some true stories about the people who became victim of online fraud in Saudi Arabia. We have also covered the things you need to do in case you catch an online fraud in Saudi Arabia.
2 kinds of online frauds being committed in Saudi Arabia
- We are mentioning few stories about how people are fooled, so that you can have an idea about the tricks and save yourselves from such mishap. A consultant in Saudi Arabia which was an Indian doctor was told by few of his friends about an online MDS program which awarded American PhD after few years of study. Upon research he got to know that everything, from presentations to thesis was conducted online. He was so fascinated that without much research he enrolled himself in the university and paid the fee as it was merely $60. Upon informing his family, they felt suspicious and researched over it. They found, no such university exists in America thus, he was fooled. Upon inquiring the bank, he found that three transactions of about $10,000 took place through his credit card. This is just an example. Not everyone is lucky enough to catch the fraud in time. Many expats living in the Kingdom were targeted and most of them fall prey to these scams through online degree programs as such programs are not introduced within the Kingdom itself. Other investment and profit schemes, lottery prizes and gift hampers also trapped such expats, as they are eager to earn more besides their normal income.
- Sometimes you may get a mail stating that you won a lottery or you have a present/parcel waiting for you and you just need to fill in few details to claim. Sometimes you have won a cash prize of $10,000 or a BMW waiting to be picked up but you need to pay the shipment charges and give few sensitive details. This all actually does not exist for real. All this is fraud and means of fetching money. Once you pay the amount, you are doomed. You lose your money and you get no reply in return.
What to do if you catch an online Fraud in Saudi Arabia?
If you think you found the fraud or if in doubt, do the following:
- Report or complain to your local police/authorities so that such activities are well monitored.
- Change the passwords of your accounts on social networking sites, your internet banking, email addresses and pins of credit/debit cards.
- Create awareness among people by sharing your experience on different social networking sites like facebook and twitter besides complaining on websites.
- Call your bank and confirm the amount transected. If you report within 24hrs, your transaction will be labeled “disputed” and you might get your money back.
- 9 Tips to protect yourself from online frauds in Saudi Arabia
- 7 Unique Fraud Schemes which Looted Millions from Public
- Tenants of a Building in Jeddah cheated with SR 300,000 for Rent
- 6 Facts about Point-Of-Sale Fraud which everyone needs to know
- Tips to Protect Yourself from Canadian Immigration Fraud